Welcome to my blog !

Eulogy for Grandma

By 11/26/2008

Eulogy for Grandma

Mark Twain once wrote, "There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior, there is drama, a comedy and a tragedy."

That is most true, as I had a hard time keeping this eulogy to only 5 minutes. No matter how hard I try, it is difficult to do justice to everything that my grandmother had overcome and accomplished in her lifetime. I know that all of us gathered here today are grieving, for we've lost a wonderful grandmother, mother, sister or friend. Nonetheless, I know that she's now in a better place and we should be glad for that.

Now, let me share a little about the grandma that I know. Mama has not only touched mine but my friends' lives as well, through our mahjong sessions or simple get together. The wonderful thing is that Mama always managed to make my friends feel welcomed and there was always good cheer with her around.

My good memories of Mama stretches as far back as when she took care of me in Teck Whye and she would sing 上海滩's theme song as a lullaby. By the way, she still sang this song till her very last week.

Who can also forget how innovative Mama was? Lizards in the house? No problem! Who needs insecticide? Dettol in a plastic water gun was the method to get rid of them! Even the lizards grew scared of Mama when she went around with that water gun.

I am sure many of you have many other stories to tell. In addition, many of us here today have also experienced Mama's "ramblings" or, sometimes even, monologues. It might appear that she's talking to herself or that she's being naggy but whenever I did take the time to listen, I realised that it was her way to teach me or anyone else about her philosophy in life and giving advice on being a better person. It was also a good way to learn more about my uncles, aunt and even my mum! Now, aren't you all curious to know what she said? *wry grin* Yes, she might have been a little naggy but that was how Mama shared her life stories to others.

Mark Twain was right when he wrote that there isn't such a thing as an uninteresting life as we can tell from all the memories that we have of Mama. I don't feel like Mama's last chapter has really been written because she still lives on in our hearts and we'll continue to tell our children (and perhaps grandchildren) about her.

Thank you for being here today and in celebrating my grandmother's life together with us.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Disclaimer

All views presented on this blog are based on personal opinions and experiences with no monetary compensation was received unless otherwise stated.

My Polyvore Sets


http://emailcashpro.com