Welcome to my blog !

Lunch at Gunther's - The modern French Cuisine

By 6/14/2013 , , , , , , ,

Met up with some old friends at Gunther's for lunch although we were supposed to have gone to Saveur but Saveur lost us because of the wait staff's rudeness.  Anyway, back to Gunther's Restaurant.  This is the second time that I've eaten at Gunther's and the first was a business lunch so I couldn't do the whole instagram/photo-taking thing.

All of us ordered their set lunch which is priced at $38++ and there are a few choices of starters and mains, all of which you can view prior at their website www.gunthers.com.sg.


For appetiser, I ordered the raviolo of foie gras on pumpkin coulis.  We joked that it's just foie gras wanton/dumplings which they essentially are but I think it was rather well cooked because they were light but I think the dumpling kind of took the spotlight away from the foie gras.


For the entree, I ordered the Gunther's creation because I was sold by the photo shown to me by my friend.  I knew that it was pork but I was NOT expecting the above.  When it was served, it looked and smelt like Bak Kut Teh.  Took a scoop of the soup and...it was glorified Bak Kut Teh.  (-_-)  Talk about being underwhelmed.  Only differences between this and our regular BKT are:
  • mushrooms
  • mustard
  • broiled veg
  • no cut chilli
  • no youtiao
  • no rice
Naturally, we started joking about how we should glam up other hawker foods like fried carrot cake but in this case, I shall name it tarte au radish.  It also made us think whether we really walked into a modern French restaurant and not modern Singaporean.  $38++ for BKT. ( -_-;)  What left another bad taste (no pun intended) in our mouths was the fact that my friend had to ask for olive oil and vinegar 3 times before it was brought over. 


Dessert of the day was chocolate pudding with coconut dusting and chocolate sauce.  We each only got HALF a pudding.  Since there were 4 of us, they only used 2 full puddings? Well, the restaurant salvaged the meal with this dessert and the petit fours that came after.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed with the meal because my first visit was a lot better in terms of service and taste.  When I walked in, one of the wait staff didn't see me behind her and the door almost slammed on me.  Thank goodness another wait staff had the other door open so I could duck to the side quickly.  Would I go to Gunther's again?  Maybe...but it wouldn't be my first choice.  I'd rather head to Garibaldi next door, Saveur opposite or Jai Thai further along the road.

Gunther's Restaurant
36 Purvis Street
#01-03
Tel: +65 6338 8955
website: www.gunthers.com.sg 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Disclaimer

All views presented on this blog are based on personal opinions and experiences with no monetary compensation was received unless otherwise stated.

My Polyvore Sets


http://emailcashpro.com